In the News
Newark Patch Article Archive
Local partnership raises funds for Viola Blythe center
Tri-City Voice, November 11, 2011
Volunteers nominated for Newark’s Viola Blythe Volunteer of the Year Award
Inside Bay Area, May 11, 2011
Latest News and Past Events – 2012
- Signed up 78 families for Christmas baskets in the first week of December
- Cargill Salt contributions committee approved a budget of $5,300 for Viola Blythe holiday adopt-a-family program.
- Received a $3,000 donation from Washington Hospital Foundation
- The Newark ALCO Firefighters presented a check to the Center in the amount of $2,000 at our October Board Meeting.
August 2012 – The following are annual ongoing donations we received in August
- Through Radio Controllers – This was a personal donation of $500.00
- Cargill Salt (500 lb. matched dollars per lb.) They donated extra – $2,000.00
- First Presbyterian Church – $600.00
- With the help of Union Sanitary District, Carol Quinn and the Niles Congregational Church we were able to distribute 29 new back packs, 52 School Supply packets and 4 new lunch boxes.
- Iron Mountain donated another 1,500 lbs. of food. They had an employee competition between drivers. Donation is valued at $2,250.
- Girl Scout Camporee donated 450 lbs.
- Aileen Fox purchased 100 lbs. of beans
- Produce delivery – 1,690 lbs. celery, 1,548 lbs. cauliflower, 1,900 lbs. watermelon, 1,920 lbs. plums, and 2,520 lbs. cantaloupe.
- Iron Mountain Company donated approximately $2,800 worth of food, goods and gift cards. They will be doing a food drive of beans and rice in August.
- The Center received $131.00 from using the Share Cards. We also received $170.17 through the BofA United Way. This is $40.00 more than last year.
- July 2012 – Fireworks sales were up this year. Thanks everyone for your support!
June 2012 and earlier
- June 2012 – The Center received $181.00 and a $25.00 gift card from The Yung family in honor of Vanessa’s Birthday.
- June 2012 – Valassis Company donated 61 pairs of shoes to the Center.
- June 2012 – The BBQ fundraiser put on by the Newark Pavilion was a success. Luis Freitas spoke about V.B. Center and what we do for the community. He also announced that the profit from the dinner would be donated to the Center. We received a check in the amount of $777.77.
- May 2012 – The Center received a Scholarship grant in the amount of $353.00. This was through the Alameda County Food Bank due to the F.E.M.A. grants coming so late this year. The Viola Blythe Center was able to purchase some very nutritional items such as: rice, beans, cereal, tuna, peanut butter, canned chicken etc. we also received free salvage sorted food and over 300 lbs. of food drive food. This was a whole van full of food worth well over $1,000 for $728.00.
- May 2012 – We held our annual V.B. Appreciation Dinner and had 78 guest present. It was an honor to have our Mayor, Al Nagy, two City Council members (Luis Freitas and Suzy Collozo), City Manager, John Becker, School Superintendent, Churches, Schools, businesses and volunteers all attend. To our surprise Dino’s Grill donated the entire dinner for this event. The Yung family made a $1,000 contribution.
- May 2012 – Jean Ficklin donated $500.00 to the Center in lieu of her late husband’s car.
- May 2012 – Youth director at the LDS church about collecting and bagging beans and rice. We received 150 lbs. of beans and 100 lbs. of rice.
- April 2012 – Judy Mooney and Joe DiFede purchased two new computers for the Center. Judy and Chris DiFede spent many hours installing and connecting them. This has really made our work so much easier.
- April 2012 – The Washington Township Children’s Welfare Group donated 50 packages of food to help the Center with Easter food Baskets.
- April 2012 – Our first Black Oak Casino fundraiser- We had 57 passengers, lots of prizes and a nice raffle basket. This was a great 1st fundraising bus trip for Viola Blythe.
Latest News and Past Events – 2011
- Nov 1, 2011 – Petersen-Dean Roofing and Solar Systems and Viola Blythe Launch Fundraising Program NEWARK, Calif.–(BUSINESS WIRE) Viola Blythe Community Service Center of Newark launched their new fundraising campaign at the City of Newark Mayorand Council Candidates Luncheon. In partnership with PetersenDean Roofing and Solar Systems, Viola Blythe will receive from $250-$1000 for every roof or solar system purchased by Newark citizens depending on the purchase size. “Giving for Living is a practical way to drive funds to great community organizations like Viola Blythe,” says Jim Petersen, CEO and founder of PetersenDean Roofing and Solar Systems, “We all can’t spend the time or money like the volunteers at Viola Blythe so by participating in our fundraising program, homeowners can help others as a by-product of their purchase.” Website provided by Vistaprint homeowners can help others as a by-product of their purchase.”
- October 25, 2011 – Newark Health and Resource Faire for Seniors
- October 1, 2011 – Home Depot – Car Show/Canned food Drive
- Sept 2, 2011 – Comcast Newsmakers interview about Viola Blythe with host Barbara Rodgers – filmed in Hayward. Air date on Comcast and YouTube: TBA
- Sept 21, 2011- We just had the most exciting visit from the Alameda County Firefighters Association. They brought two fire trucks. We were presented with a $1,500 check from their fundraising pancake breakfast event.